Steven J. Hughes received a B.A. in Business Administration with a Marketing
emphasis from the University of Northern Iowa in 1985 and received his J.D.
from Southern Illinois University in 1988. He was a member of Phi Delta Phi.
Steve was admitted to the Bar in Illinois in 1988 and the Bar in Missouri in
1989. He is also admitted to practice in the United States District Court in
both the Eastern and Western Districts of Missouri, the Southern District of
Illinois, the District Court of Kansas, and the Seventh and Eight Circuits of the
United States District Court of Appeals. He is a member of The Bar
Association of Metropolitan St. Louis, Illinois State Bar Association, The
Missouri Bar, Missouri Organization of Defense Lawyers, Defense Research
Institute and the American Bar Association. Steve earned Missouri “Super
Lawyer” recognition in 2015. His Martindale-Hubbell rating is AV. Steve
defended a multiple fatality truck accident in the United States District Court in
2021 for which the firm was recognized for a “Top Five Defense Verdict” for
the State of Missouri in 2021.
Publications and Seminars
- Speaker, Employment Issues – Legal Services of Eastern Missouri
- Speaker, Trucking Liability – Presented Mock Trial, 2009, 2010
- Speaker, “Missouri Tort Reform,” August 2005
- Speaker, “Dram Shop Liability,” July 2000
- Speaker, “Trying the Soft Tissue Injury Case,” October 1997
- Speaker, “Accounting Malpractice Defense,” July 1996
- Speaker, “Federal Court Practice and Procedure,” October 1995
Steve’s trial experience is extensive and has involved:
- Truck accident cases in both Missouri and Illinois State and Federal
- Automobile cases.
- Premises liability cases.
- Product liability cases.
- Employment discrimination cases.
- Contract disputes.
Defense experience in various employment practice matters includes full responsibility for representation of private business and governmental clients in claims before:
- State and Federal Courts in Illinois, Missouri, and Kansas (Federal)
- Missouri Commission on Human Rights
- Illinois Department of Human Rights
- Kansas Human Rights Commission
- The Equal Employment Opportunity Commission
Associations & Organizations
- Defense Research Institute
- Missouri Organization of Defense Lawyers
- The Bar Association of Metropolitan Saint Louis
- American Bar Association
- Transportation Section and Mega-Conference Planning Committee
- Transportation Lawyers Association
- Trucking Industry Defense Association
- International Association of Defense Counsel
- Trial Academy, Boulder, Colorado, 1992
- Southern University of Illinois
- J.D., 1988
- University of Northern Iowa
- B.A., Business Administration, 1985
- United States Court of Appeals Eight Circuit
- United States District Courts
- Eastern District of Missouri
- Western District of Missouri
- Southern District of Illinois
- District Court of Kansas
- Partner, Hughes Lawyers, LLC (2016 – Present)
- Principal, Pitzer Snodgrass, P.C. (2011-2015)
- Principal, Rabbitt, Pitzer & Snodgrass, P.C. (1996-2010)
- Associate, Rabbitt, Pitzer & Snodgrass, P.C. (1991-1996)
- Associate, Brown, James & Rabbitt, P.C. (1988-1991)